What We Do
For organizations that are intent on making sustainability a key consideration for creating better web products and services—not just for the environment, but for customers as well, building a sustainable website is an excellent place to start.
After all, your website represents your business and what it stands for. It is also often the first port of call for customers looking to find out more or buy your product, so ensuring that your web presence is built on sustainable design technologies and meets website carbon emission standards is important.
Our approach to designing sustainable websites is to maintain, as a guiding principle, as minimal a carbon footprint of your website as possible through website development best practices. The result is a clear, optimized website that loads faster, is easy for customers to use, and environmentally friendly.
At Bray Leino Splash, we prioritize simple, less cluttered websites that focus on information, visual appeal, and functionality instead of going overboard with trends or components just for the sake of it. We ensure quick and easy navigation designed with the end user in mind, while still minimizing any adverse effects on the neighborhood and environment.
Our sustainable website design services rest on the following key pillars of design approach:
First things first, start with an in-depth audit
The first step of our action plan is a detailed website performance and sustainability audit on your current site with a set of guiding questions such as:
- How easy is it for people to find the content they are looking for on the site?
- What are the main culprits making your website heavier, slower, and jammier?
- How does the website look on the mobile devices including different device models?
- What are the pain points for each page?
- How long does my website take to load
Architect and Design Content for Efficiency
At the center of our services are the key values of simplicity and accessibility, and this is what drives our approach to website design. We design keeping the end user in mind, thereby and enhancing site navigation to cut down on the time users spend navigating the site in search of the information they need.
Design for lighter page weights ie, less data consumption.
Here are a few tactics we deploy to reduce data loading needs on the server:
- Set a page weight budget
- Establish caching strategies for repeat visitors
- Reduce page weight by avoid high-resolution images because they increase load times and energy consumption.
- Only using images, videos, and animations when absolutely necessary
- Maintain static pages whenever possible
- Enhance site navigation to cut down on the time users spend navigating the site in search of the information they need.
At the end of the day, you do not have to give up or modify your brand’s colour scheme but just be mindful when you choose colours responsibly when designing the site, keeping the contribution of each colour in mind.
Media optimisation is key to reducing the carbon footprint of your website.
Instead of default YouTube embeds, we advocate smaller video thumbnails and only loading the video in a modal when the user clicks the image which then results in less data consumption while not compromising the user experience.
Green servers and cloud-based hosting are the ideal way forward for digital businesses today. Some hosting providers have a stringent environmental policy in place that addresses business emissions, responsible use of new technology, and secure, environmentally friendly means of disposal or recycling of outdated equipment. Others donate to renewable energy projects and/or employ renewable energy to power their data centers, making them an even more suitable choice.
Depending on where your business and primary users are located, we will work with your technical team to identify a proper Green Hosting solution ideal for your company’s needs.
Sustainable Web Design Services
- User Research
- Competitor Research
- Website Sustainability Audit
- Visual Design
- Copywriting/ Copyediting
- Motion-Responsive Design
- Content Optimization
- Image Size Optimization
- Page Weight Budgeting
- Site Navigation Design
- Page Speed Optimization
What We Do
- Data Strategies
- User Research
- User Experience Design (UX)
- Sustainable Website Design
- Email Marketing
- Website Design & Development
- eCommerce Website
- Responsive Website Design
- Sitefinity CMS Integration
- Video Marketing | Motion Graphics
- Mobile Apps
- B2B Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- SEM | PPC
- Drupal (Acquia) CMS Integration
- Activation & Events
- AEM CMS Integration
- Kentico CMS Integration
- Sitecore CMS Integration